According to a report by Technopak, the children’s wear market in the country reached $8.3 billion in 2013, which contributed to 20% of India’s overall clothing category. By 2023, this figure is expected to reach $22.4 billion. Good news for etailers, as the segment which caters to young mothers and their children is expanding rapidly.
Ecommerce marketplace, Flipkart which just released an insightful report on its performance in 2015, has now launched ‘Flipkart Li’l Stars’ which fully caters to the kids segment on its platform. In 2015, an amazing 10% of sales from Flipkart’s fashion category came from children’s apparel and accessories, which grew 3 fold in the past twelve months. Next year its children’s apparel market is expected to grow by 5 times. Apart from children’s clothes, Flipkart plans to focus extensively on the lucrative kids toy segment.
Popular children’s brands on Flipkart:
- Fisher Price
- United Colours of Benetton
- US Polo
Popular toys on Flipkart:
- Shengshou mirror cube
- Rubik’s cube
- Beyblade spinners
- Talking Tom
- Remote-control driven cars
Popular dolls on Flipkart:
- Mickey Mouse
- Chhota Bheem
- Motu Patlu
“The growing exposure of both parents and children towards global fashion trends and the rising income levels of the Indian working class are one of the key contributing factors towards the growth of the kids’ category. Toys form the most popular vertical in this category, closely followed by kids fashion and baby care,” said Rishi Vasudev, vice president fashion at Flipkart.
Flipkart’s other rapidly growing categories:
- Wearables (smartwatches, smart bands, water-resistant fitness bands)
- Small home appliances (microwaves, mixers, juicers, air fryers)
- Gold ( jewellery)
- Toys (dolls, mechanical puzzles)
- Auto Accessories (mobile holder, car charger, 360 degree rotating mobile holder, car media player)
- Large Furniture (beds, sofas, televisions, dining sets, wardrobes)
- Personal care products (hair styling wax, hair growth oil, castor oil, deodorant oil, slimming oil)
“These are the categories that have seen exceptional growth in the last one year and have the potential to surge in the next year,” said a Flipkart spokesperson.