Online grocery shopping is gaining popularity in metros like Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore as customers can save time and get delivery on their doorsteps. Although the concept is quite young, the current number of 50 or more online groceries in India is growing at the rate of 45-50%.
Most of them have been around for only about one or two years and there is no official data yet on the performance or success or annual turnover of these stores.
Why shoppers buy from online groceries
Office goers, both youngsters and DINKs (Double Income No Kids) families prefer online groceries due to the following reasons as these online stores:
- Save time for them as they neither have to waste time in traffic nor spend on transportation cost.
- Provide a hassle-free and convenient shopping experience.
- Help to avoid neighbourhood shopkeepers who take their own time to make deliveries.
- Deliver purchases to their doorsteps at their convenient and chosen time.
- Competitive prices and discounts when compared to physical supermarkets and grocery stores.
- Allow convenient payment by credit or debit cards or cash on delivery.
These online stores are most popular now:
- Mumbai – Localbanya, Ekstop, Bigbasket
- Bangalore – Bigbasket, zopnow, atmydoorsteps
- Delhi – Grosseryhub, mangoshoppers
Opportunity for Indian Online Seller with the Online Grocery concept
Like every other online store, online groceries provide consumers with convenient and hassle free shopping of different products under one roof at competitive rates. It saves time and hassle for consumers.
The rising popularity in metros shows the potential for it. In today’s fast world, people love anything that saves time for them and comes to their doorstep. If the adequate logistic and operational aspects can be worked out, you can start an online grocery store in your local town or area and gauge customer response before expanding further.