What’s the best part about online shopping? Customers don’t need to step out of their office or wait till work is done to purchase the clothes and shoes needed for the weekend party. Shopping therapy to de-stress can be done in the midst of preparing for even the most hassling presentation. Probably the bosses also take time off work to shop for clothes or music.
With the popularity of online shopping today, working customers are not just juggling their work schedules but they also manage to take a few minutes to buy their desired clothes or shoes or gadget. Quick breaks are spent doing online shopping, in addition to updating facebook statuses or tweeting.
As such, online shopping sites like Myntra, Amazon, eBay, Caratlane, Lenskart, Flipkart etc. receive the most number of orders between 12 noon and 4 pm on working days. More than 50% of sales happen on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, with a decrease over the weekends when customers go to brick-and-mortar shops or malls for their relaxation.
- Snapdeal’s site traffic indicates busy weekdays with a 10-12 percent drop during weekends, especially long weekends. On a working day, lunch time and evenings are peak times while night time hardly accounts for any shopping. Snapdeal claims to have 22 million members with around 500 product categories and 20,000 sellers on its marketplace.
- About one-third of orders that Amazon receives are from noon to 3 pm when products ranging from electronics to jewellery are purchased.
- Most of eBay’s buyers shop between 3 pm and 6 pm.
- Lenskart receives half of its daily orders in eyewear during working hours.
- Basicslife, fashion e-tailer, receives 20 percent orders during lunch time and a higher percentage of orders close to end of working hours.
Reasons for online shopping during working hours
- Shopping helps to de-stress without having to go to a physical store. Online shopping enables customers to make quick purchases without stepping out their cabins or cubicles.
- Office internet connectivity is often faster than home internet connections; hence customers can make quick purchases when in office.
- Due to faster connections in office, customers can research and browse as many options as needed before they settle on what to buy. There is a spike when people log in from offices and this trend is popular with repeat customers.
- Delivery on weekends is a convenient option for working customers as they don’t need to be worried about being at home or leaving someone in charge to receive deliveries.
- Same day delivery is also preferred by customers who make last minute or urgent purchases, or sometimes if they just want the product right away. eBay offers nine-hour delivery in Mumbai with the condition that orders have to be placed by noon, while Amazon requires orders to be placed by 10 am to avail same day delivery service.
Desktop vs Smartphone during working hours
During office hours, customers prefer using their personal computers or desktops for online shopping and 80 percent of time spent on online shopping sites is via personal computers in office. It is estimated that about 70 percent of transactions happen on desktops, with only a 30 percent done using smartphones and tablets.
How can an Indian Online Seller capitalize on peak shopping hours during weekdays
Online shopping is the weekday relaxation or the much needed stress buster during work. Accordingly, ecommerce is a shopping destination during weekdays for most customers, while weekends are seen as an opportunity to head physical stores or malls.
- Introduce special deals and offers during weekdays, especially during lunch time and closing hours so people will feel motivated to make their purchases then and come back for repeat purchases. Additional discounts or freebies can be given for shopping above a certain amount within a certain time, for example between noon and 4 pm, to entice them into making more purchases.
- Offer as much variety as possible in the range of products as people tend to spend free time browsing through options before deciding on what to buy. More the options, more are the reasons for them to keep coming back to check out the options. Working customers usually spend time in researching most products before they purchase.
- Streamline and fine tune operations such that you can cater to the busy order hours and handle same day and next day deliveries as effectively as possible, to avoid any delays in deliveries.